National Geographic Photo of the Day

Friday, August 29, 2008

Ways to while away time at college - Part 1

These Automobile Department guys sure know how to start a party. Picture:
Below right : Mr. Sivakumar and Mr. Tamilselvan square - off.





Back to my department then.


During our days in school we were never quite short of things to study, or homework to write. While things don't always change in college what with some folk who seem hellbent on NOT leaving their school days behind, plus a few who spend time doing nothing other than reading books borrowed from the library, having secret discussions (the way some of these people keep it secret, you'd think they'd have found a way to perform controlled Cold Fusion :D ) - the majority of us mortals resort to other methods to busy ourselves.





Here the guy on the left is our class' Anniyan, a.k.a Abhirup. He makes occasional appearances in class and in fortuitous circumstances like this, ventures forward with a doubt. All queries on hair styling may be directed to him.





For example, there's me - right in the first bench with a 9.607 GPA in 2nd sem. But throw all presumptions aside and accept the truth - that there's a lot more to me - which shall dawn on you only if you spend a lot of time in class. I spend half the time trying to keep myself awake since I can't really fall asleep in the first bench without making myself look stupid. The rest of the time, I keep thinking up silly answers (a.k.a. mokkai) to questions that teachers ask (and sometimes I work up the guts to give them those answers). Right next to me are Messrs Sundaram and Siddharth - two people who have an ability to stay awake i the dreariest of classes without so much as a sideways glace while I'm fighting hard to keep steady. Occasionally however, I might snap a picture in class when I get too bored just to see how much I can get away with in the first bench.


The picture to the right shows many of our class' hostelers.







Centum Sundaram (or A-cubed as he is otherwise known), can however get wild if you disturb him while he studies or while he writes his homework. The fruit (read: pazham) will turn into a raging fire if you take away his study-related stuff. Note the picture to the left.










A bench behind me is our ex-rep and my all-weather hyper friend Mr. Vigneshwaran (sleeping in the pic to the right) , accompanied Mr. Sivakumar , Rat-cutter Rupesh (hostel hero for obvious reasons) and Thale (or should I say Thamilarasan). These people have come to accept that there shall be no end to their torture by my mokkai until the completion of the course. They do however, show signs of sleep on occasion unlike my first bench partners. Further back, people take to different activities during class - ranging from texting to writing that evening's lab record, from listening to music to photographing people with their phones, and of course the unanimously accepted favourite college hobby - sleeping in class.



Above you see Mr. Jayaraj out cold in class, never underestimate an Anna Univ professor's capability to put you to sleep. Tis sometimes better to give in to sound sleep than to listen to them.

Problem with being in the forward benches is that you sometimes don't know whether to smile or cry at the jokes that some teachers crack :-(
Note part 2 of the tale below.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good good good......

Post a Comment